Re: font missing in firefox

Robert Swindells <rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost> writes:

> We could also modify the pkgsrc freetype2 package to only depend on
> brotli and libpng if the version checks have decided that the base
> version isn't enough. The would let people choose which to use.

I don't follow that at all.

It seems that today, freetype2 without those dependencies can't handle
things that the rest of the world expects it to, and thus is deficient.
So pkgsrc freetype2 should depend on png and brotli.

The question in builtin.mk is when base is good enough, and it seems
pretty clear to me that we have arrived at "freetype2 without png and
brotli is deficient and should not be used".

Thus, anything in pkgsrc that depends on freetype2 should, on NetBSD,
end up with pkgsrc freetype2, and that's ok.

Perhps you mean to introduce some preference variable that says "it's ok
for freetype2 to be deficient in way X", to modify builtin.mk, or even
optionize those dependencies.  Without really understanding, that feels
like more complexity than benefit.  freetype2 with those libs is only
twice the size what it is without.