Re: pkgsrc name collisions

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 at 22:52:24 +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
>The following packages have colliding names in different categories:
>
>{fonts,sysutils}/gnome-font-viewer

[...]

>gnome-font-viewer and mdp are PKGBASE collisions.  The two
>gnome-font-viewers appear to be the same software (imported and then
>updated at different times), but in the case of mdp, this means
>pkg_add or pkgin will try to install the wrong package for `mdp' if
>you want misc/mdp because mbone/mdp has a higher version number.

The gnome-font-viewer one I flagged back a couple of years ago[1]. No
one ever responded, so I guess we could take that as no objection to
removing one of them. (I'd forgotten about this topic.)

IIRC, I did find that the newer of the two under sysutils built for me,
but then crashed on startup. I haven't tried it recently.

1. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2021/08/18/msg034254.html

Dave