Re: Skip building the test programs in parallel/threadingbuildingblocks

On Thu, 11 Aug 2022, Taylor R Campbell wrote:

From: Charlotte Koch <charlotte%netbsd.org@localhost>

So, I think we can speed up the build significantly in the typical use
case by building the test programs iff we want to run the tests in the
first place. What do we think of my diff (attached) ?

How much time is saved?  What is the fraction of the build time?

In this specific case, the time saved is substantial:

WITHOUT the patch: 1482.64 real 5349.65 user 339.51 sys

WITH the patch:
53.80 real       106.20 user        18.05 sys

(Built on an unimpressive T440)

It's probably an outlier -- on the average, I doubt we'd see savings
this dramatic.

With the patch, how would pkgsrc know whether the user is about to do
`bmake test' manually, while not setting PKGSRC_RUN_TEST?  I do this
regularly while developing packages.

I'm not sure the best way to go about that... I literally discovered
PKGSRC_RUN_TEST even exists just last night, heh.

But I do agree with what other folks have been saying, that running
'make test' manually should always work.

Charlotte