Re: pkgsrc leakage and default pkg options

David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, May 04, 2022 at 08:09:21PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>  > Indeed, there is no support in pkg_rr for graph partitioning.
>  >
>  > But I don't follow "rebuild Python early ... increase the time during
>  > which Pytthon stuff is bust".  Yes, if python 3.9.x has gone to x++, or
>  > has a nbN++, then it will get "make replace", but almost always there is
>  > no ABI change, so the breakage is limited to the "pkg_add -u -U" call
>  > which is a few seconds.
>
> I was under the impression that in such a case, until you rebuilt all
> your Python extensions they'd be in the wrong subdir and not findable.
> But maybe that's not true any more? (Or maybe it was never true and I
> was confusing it with Perl or something else...)

If you are updating from 3.9.x to 3.9.y, or just a 3.9.y revbump, there
is no issue.  Python packages do have versions in directory names but it
looks like:

  /usr/pkg/lib/python3.9/site-packages/

in the package.  So yes, moving from 3.9 to 3.10 requires rebuilding,
not just really just rebuilding, but building py310 instead of py39, and
this is somewhat messy.  But it only happens every year or so.

This is sort of like perl, which has (from p5-URI):

  /usr/pkg/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.34.0

That has the minor, so it's worse.  Or maybe the path is always .0 even
if you had 5.34.1.  I remember that perl updates eg 5.32 to 5.34 are a
big deal, but infrequent, and the typical perl rebuild doesn't cause
trouble.

>  > > Of the extra deps, only libxml2 is large/slow, and it doesn't change
>
> That meant "besides Python", which isn't super-fast. On the other
> hand, these days it's really hard to not need Python installed, so
> you're almost certainly paying that cost regardless.
>
> Also, I guess there's an elapsed-build-time argument if you're doing
> builds to setting up a VM image, but in that case ISTM that you should
> be doing something that caches the images so it doesn't happen often
> enough to matter much.

For building from source, I have set:

  DEPENDS_TARGET=		bin-install clean

and then do "pkgin ar" without worry, which leads to build deps getting
pkg_added as needed with very little time cost most of the time, and
rebuilt if there is a revbump.  So far I'm happy with that.