Re: pkgsrc leakage and default pkg options

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 07:44:34PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > In the curl case, I don't see the bloat as really terrible, in terms of
 > effective bloat.  Tons of things need gmake, so any bulk build is going
 > to need it.  So basically that doesn't count.  And really, same with
 > python, except for a system that is not doing much.

The practical problem (or one, anyway) is that cmake depends on curl,
and curl depends on Python, so any in-place live rebuild (e.g. with
pkg_rr) will need to rebuild Python early and this can considerably
increase the time during which Python stuff is bust. It also makes it
a lot harder to do incremental live rebuilds of one disjoint chunk of
packages at a time (granted, I don't think pkg_rr readily supports
this...)

Of the extra deps, only libxml2 is large/slow, and it doesn't change
often, so it seems like a minor annoyance unless you somehow don't
need to have it installed; but that seems unlikely; for me it has 1-2
dozen things things depending on it, some of which are pretty hard to
avoid incurring (e.g. py-lxml, libxslt, xmlto).

I find the ordering issue annoying, but the build time argument seems
somewhat dubious.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost