Re: lang/guile30 violates basic pkgsrc mechanisms to work around an ancient bug

At Tue, 12 Apr 2022 22:10:03 +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: lang/guile30 violates basic pkgsrc mechanisms to work around an ancient bug

> Am Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 12:20:34PM -0700 schrieb Greg A. Woods:
> > So, clearly the target string must have three hyphen-separated parts,
> > and none of them can be null strings!  Though it's not as clearly
> > documented as one might like, this is how I would read the specification
> > for the values of '--host' et al:
>
> You can have three or four components.

Well..... the documentation puts a somewhat different slant on it, and
examination of the code shows yet one more option:

The documentation says there can be one, or three, components; with the
third one optionally being a hyphen separated string itself.

The code suggests the ancient pre-1998 way of providing "cpu-OS" was
also at least "Often Right", but if memory serves correctly it was
limited and problematic sometimes.

> It is also wrong to insist on a non-empty vendor field -
> outside a few rare cases,

Wrong?  Really?  Guile is GNU software.  Autoconf is GNU software.

Are we not really now arguing about what some other project(s) decided
or did?

> it is useless

Clearly not useless for some packages (your "few rare cases") that do
pay attention to it.

> forcing a random junk value
> creates a lot more harm.

Please show the harm you perceive might happen.

I cannot even begin to imagine how invoking Autoconf configure scripts
in the documented correct way could cause any problems, never mind
actual harm.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>