Re: Relationship between pkgsrc/pkgtools/mtree and mtree in base

* On 2022-03-01 at 16:20 GMT, Benny Siegert wrote:

There was a recent pkgsrc bug report
(https://github.com/NetBSD/pkgsrc/issues/101) about the mtree package.
At first glance, I thought it was about the mtree utility that's part
of NetBSD base, but it turns out that the two are separate codebases.

Can anyone tell me what the relationship between the two is? Is
pkgsrc/pkgtools/mtree a portable port?

The version number (20130908) suggests that its last sync with base
was a long time ago. Would anyone be interested in bringing a newer
version to pkgsrc?

Back in the day mtree was a required part of the bootstrap process. As that hasn't been the case for 15 years now we should just remove it from pkgsrc completely to avoid any confusion.

Someone may want to archive the current files onto GitHub or something first if there really is a desire to maintain a portable version.