Re: LXQt-1.0.0 Window Manager?

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Monday, November 8th, 2021 at 1:52 AM, David H. Gutteridge <david%gutteridge.ca@localhost> wrote:

> I don't think we can reasonably provide a meta package with no window
> manager, as that would violate the POLA. Typically DEs are customized
> somewhat by downstream packagers and, here, the upstream seems to be
> implying we should do so.

Yeah, I've realized that myself after posting. We should pick a wm.

> The other question -- assuming Openbox is left as our default -- is how
> does this change the UX if we don't provide an LXQt-specific config file
> as used to be done?

I'd guess so but, I can confirm this rather soon, have 8 sub-packages left to build.
You will probably need to provide an openbox configuration file and most probably
won't be able to edit settings through the DE. Obviously, editing the config file
will always be possible. I've never used openbox for more than a few minutes, configuration
in XML seems weird.

> When last I tested LXQt with xfwm4 as the WM, it
> worked fine, but we'd want to verify that again (I can do that as I have
> time).

Don't worry, I'll test this as well.

> I don't have a strong opinion about obconf-qt. I've never used it, and
> if the upstream thinks it should be dropped, sure, that makes sense.

As Greg suggested, I'll remove it from the meta-package but, keep it in pkgsrc.

Thanks.