Re: Seeking review of wip/freem package

"John P. Willis" <jpw%coherent-logic.com@localhost> writes:

> I'm hoping to get some community review/feedback on my "freem" package
> in pkgsrc-wip, so I can get an idea of what the next steps are/what changes
> I need to make for inclusion in mainstream pkgsrc, in addition to wanting
> the package to be of good quality.

Looking very quickly (and some of this is for the benefit of others as a
sort of checklist)

  pkglint reports no issues

  If you haven't built with "PKG_DEVELOPER=yes", please do.  (Really, if
  you are developing packages, just set that in general for your
  environment.)

  TODO is empty (besides 'ask for review'), which is good.

  I tend not to have a double lank line before bl3 section.  Not a big
  deal, maybe that's just me.

  Typically bsd.pkg.mk is last, after the included bl3 files.

  DESCR typically does not point to docs.  HOMEPAGE is there for finding
  the canonical entry page.  This package installs docs (which is great)
  and presumably if a pointer is warranted it would be in there.  So I
  would just drop that line.

  There is no MESSAGE, which is good.

  There are no patches which is a nice sign about upstream, and I would
  have checked that patches are explained and filed upstream with
  bugtracker URLs unless they are clearly not appropriate for upstream.

  It looks like man pages (or sources?) are also installed in
  share/doc/freem.  (They are installed in man directories, which is
  good.)  I don't follow this, and it seems from Makefile like an
  upstream bug or difference of opinion on norms.

  I wonder if the sysconfdir argument is needed as I would expect
  GNU_CONFIGURE to arrange for that automatically.  But I'm fuzzy on
  that, so this may just be my confusion.

  PLIST has things in var/freem.  I don't follow this at all because the
  files don't appear (I have read zero of your docs!) to be things that
  are modified.  If they are sort of library files to be read then they
  belong in share/freem if they are independent of CPU type and probably
  lib/freem of libdata/freem if they depend on cpu type.

  The previous comment might not apply to journals.txt.  But usually for
  var-ish things the package would create the directory and not the
  file, which would be created at runtime.

  var raises the question of uid, because a var dir needs a uid and
  often packages that are daemons run under a specific uid that is
  created as part of the package.  But programming languages aren't like
  that.  So a var-like place needs to be in some cache or config dir in
  a per-user sort of place.  I simply have not dug in to what's going
  on, but hope this is helpful.

and not about the package but

  upstream gets nerd style points for an info file (seriously, not
  saracasm)