Re: xorg version confusion on pkgsrc-2021Q1 and NetBSD-current

On Tue, 08 Jun 2021 at 01:45:54 +1000, Simon Burge wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've just spent a few days tracking down why pkgsrc-2021Q1 on a NetBSD
> -current userland insisted on trying to install modular xorg.  This
> commit is the source of the problem:
>
> https://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2021/04/29/msg233765.html

I think you mean my commit explains the source of the problem? It
shouldn't be a "source of" a problem, as far as I know.

> To shows the root of the problem, start with -current from May 2021
> onwards and pkgsrc-2021Q1:
>

>         pbp 238> cd /home/pkgsrc/time/dclock
>         pbp 239> make show-var VARNAME=X11_TYPE
>         native
>         pbp 240> make show-var VARNAME=IS_BUILTIN.libXt
>         yes
>         pbp 241> make show-var VARNAME=BUILTIN_VERSION.xorgproto
>
>         pbp 242>
>
> Note the BUILTIN_VERSION.xorgproto is blank.
>
> To fix this problem on pkgsrc-2021Q1, update x11/xorgproto/builtin.mk
> rev 1.9:
>
>         pbp 242> make show-var VARNAME=X11_TYPE
>         native
>         pbp 243> make show-var VARNAME=IS_BUILTIN.libXt
>         yes
>         pbp 244> make show-var VARNAME=BUILTIN_VERSION.xorgproto
>         2021.3
>         pbp 245>
>
> I've fixed my local problem with that update to
> x11/xorgproto/builtin.mk.

Right, so it works for you with that revision, good.

> Bigger picture, how can we stop this type of problem occurring in the
> future, for the case where NetBSD -current ahead enough of the most
> recent pkgsrc quarterly release to cause this confusion?  Can we use
> the
> combination of X11_TYPE = native and BUILTIN_VERSION.xorgproto being
> blank to somehow be smarter that something isn't right and stop trying
> to pull modular xorg in?

I didn't submit a pullup request because my understanding was it was
"policy" (whether written or not) that NetBSD -current is only supported
in pkgsrc-current.

Regards,

Dave