Re: misguided ImageMagick polixy.xml settings regarding PS/PDF and ignorance about other problematic coders

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 03, 2021 at 12:53:41PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> But really, the trouble comes down to a collision of
>>
>>   AGPL is a Free Software license that pretty much everyplace but TNF is
>>   ok with
>>
>>   Some people in NetBSD were very bothered by "make package-install" installing
>>   AGPL software.
>>
>> and there's no great fix.
>
> Please don't mischaracterize it like that either. It's not true that
> only some people in NetBSD are bothered by it. Just that all the big
> Linux distros don't have a problem with "free" software that wants to
> enslarly the user nor do they have a problem with other licenses in that
> area like the Server Side Public License. If you look at the amount of
> love that created, it certainly doesn't seem to be universally loved.

A fair point that other people don't like it.

But, I am unaware of any other packaging system (by which term I include
GNU/Linux distributions) that rejects AGPL3 in the
main/default-license-ok category.

The SSPL is another beast; AIUI that was proposed to OSI for review and
then withdrawn, and now the OSI has stated that the license is not open
source:
  https://opensource.org/node/1099

I believe it is uncontroversial within pkgsrc that SSPL gets the
non-Free-denoting -license suffix, that it is not in DEFAULT_ACCEPTABLE,
and that no one is suggesting it be added.