Re: misguided ImageMagick polixy.xml settings regarding PS/PDF and ignorance about other problematic coders

"Dr. Thomas Orgis" <thomas.orgis%uni-hamburg.de@localhost> writes:

> Am Sat, 03 Apr 2021 12:22:46 -0400
> schrieb Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>:
>
>> I meant to ImageMagick.  You are basically asserting that it's a bug in
>> ImageMagick that ghostscript is not turned off in the installed policy
>> file.
>
>> It seems clear that fundamentally upstream ImageMagick thinks their
>> default config is right and you (and probably others) think their
>> default is not right.
>
> Big misunderstanding here. I am _not_ advocating for adding rules to
> policy.xml, rather for relaxing them.
>
> 1. Pkgsrc currently does include the patch that sets "none" for gs
>    stuff.
> 2. My suggestion is to at least reduce that to "write".
> 3. Dropping it wholesale would be fine by me!
>
> If you argue that pkgsrc should just use the upstream default, I am all
> for that! Let's just drop the while policy patch, then.

I'm not really worried about who changed what when, just trying to get
us on solid footing, when discussing, of what is a change to upstream.

A fair point that your proposal to allow writing is merely a softening
of an earlier not-filed-upstream change.   I don't object to that
softening.

>> Your declaration of "defaults don't work" and "if you want to use pkgsrc
>> you must set this" is a mischaracterization.  There are multiple people
>> with multiple requirements, and "work" when uttered by someone often
>> means "meets *my* requirements".
>
> Yes, you are right. My harsh words relate to ghostscript being a core
> component of desktop and some server systems, without any alternative
> known to me (hm, maybe some functionality can be forced from TeX tools
> instead). This issue only occured to me now because I wanted to build
> netbsd-www for another development machine to work on htdocs. It was a
> bit distressing that this promptly failed. It just felt strange that
> NetBSD project tooling is incompatible with the default license
> settings. Maybe you want to drop ImageMagick+ghostscript from the
> dependencies of netbsd-www;-)

Perhaps you can figure out a way to do that without causing trouble.

But really, the trouble comes down to a collision of

  AGPL is a Free Software license that pretty much everyplace but TNF is
  ok with

  Some people in NetBSD were very bothered by "make package-install" installing
  AGPL software.

and there's no great fix.

>> This is not documented in the guide as well as it should be
>
> I struggle with the gaps in the documentation quite regularly … asking
> on IRC gives me a lot of answers that I don't find in the docs.

Perhaps you can update the docs then.  (I've been trying to do that for
xen and zfs.)