Re: librsvg vs librsvg-c in bulk builds

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 02:33:00PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Is this a new problem, or do you think it's just newly noticed?

I think it's just newly noticed since people stopped publishing
regular bulk build results for armv7 and the problem only manifests
with pbulk.

> I think we have to support people building from source on machines like
> a 1GB RAM RPI3, and so far I think that means not depending on rust, at
> least for now.  Of course we also have to have good bulk build results.

Agreed, but my priority here was "oh crap bulk build's broken, better fix
it quickly". It's not been prior policy either, for platforms like macppc
and sparc64.

> Do you mean when pkg_add is invoked by the bulk build machinery to
> install the dependencies before building the depending package?

I think when pkg_add is invoked by the bulk build machinery it picks
the newer (rust) version rather than the preferred (C) version because
the version is newer regardless of the BUILDLINK_API_... stuff. But
I'm not entirely sure. I think adding a SKIP to the librsvg pakage
is the best solution to this to take during freeze.