Re: pkgdb

> Sorry if this sounds grumpy, but another few days have passed and things
> did not get fixed - every day we leave the current mess around makes
> people follow the instructions and move themselves into a broken state.

> We should *really* back out all changes *now*, undo the pullups
> to the netbsd stable branches, and *then* sit back, re-think how the
> move should happen and do it differently sometime in the future.

> Everyone who has managed to (semi-) move by now will easily be able to
> move back.

> Unless someone has a working solution ready and we can move to "fixed"
> state immediately, but I have big doubts believing that all fallout has
> already been found.

> Martin (Husemann)

You mean switch back to /var/db/pkg ?

I have an old installation, both amd64 and i386, of NetBSD 8.99.51 that I intend to update to current when I get the chance, meaning when the Linux toolchains I am trying to build either reach Selbständigkeit (meaning able to boot independent of the NetBSD or FreeBSD host), or it proves not workable and I really need to rebuild the NetBSD system before going further.

Packages update went awry due to problems with pkg_chk, pkg_rolling-replace and perhaps also the Python 2.7-to-3.x transition.  So my packages are rather in a mess, or should I say train wreck, and I feel I need to start over.

I also want to switch from modular pkgsrc Xorg to native Xorg to lessen the problems with pkg_rolling-replace with Xorg.

I want to be able to have a stable pkgsrc framework when I get NetBSD rebuilt, but your message makes me feel unsafe regarding stable pkgsrc framework.

Tom