Re: pkgdb

On 17.12.2020 17:21, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 04:54:55PM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>> On 17.12.2020 08:09, Martin Husemann wrote:
>>> Unless someone has a working solution ready and we can move to "fixed"
>>> state immediately, but I have big doubts believing that all fallout has
>>> already been found.
>>
>> This was already mentioned in a similar variation, but I would go for
>> restoring the base to the old state so preexisting binary packages still
>> work.
>>
>> Then switch pkgsrc-current to bootstrap-only on NetBSD. Then in a few
>> years (2-3?), remove completely pkg_install and friends from the base.
>
> So I would need to bootstrap to install binary packages ???

For preexisting binary packages: do nothing.  I proposed to keep
pkg_add(1) in the basesystem for a few years and it will be usable with
older binary pkgsrc releases.

For new installations and new pkgsrc releases, install pkgin from
sysinst and use 'pkgin install $package'.

We could make it maybe better and reuse the prior art from joyent and
provide bootstrap kit that is expected to be unpacked into / (and
install into /usr/pkg). It could be provided from sysinst.

https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-netbsd/

Source version users will just need to use bootstrap.sh + bmake.