Re: pkgdb

On 17.12.2020 08:09, Martin Husemann wrote:
> Unless someone has a working solution ready and we can move to "fixed"
> state immediately, but I have big doubts believing that all fallout has
> already been found.

This was already mentioned in a similar variation, but I would go for
restoring the base to the old state so preexisting binary packages still
work.

Then switch pkgsrc-current to bootstrap-only on NetBSD. Then in a few
years (2-3?), remove completely pkg_install and friends from the base.

Rationale:

 - Avoids problems with mismatched bmake/make between the base and
pkgsrc -- this used to break pkgsrc for me in NetBSD 6.x vs
pkgsrc-current (in NetBSD 7.x times). It's safe to assume that this
problem will be repeated.

 - No mismatch between basesystem's pkgsrc tools like pkg_install and
dirs and pkgsrc-current ones anymore.

 - More OS agnostic as NetBSD is no longer that much privileged over
other OSs. From my talks from people from other BSDs, this is the
primary reasons why they do not use pkgsrc, as it is considered as too
much NetBSD-centric and NetBSD-mainly.

The only cost I can think of is running './bootstrap.sh' once and using
bmake for builds, instead of make. I consider both as negligible changes
in human habits.