Re: pkgdb

Martin Husemann <martin%homeworld.netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> Sorry if this sounds grumpy, but another few days have passed and things
> did not get fixed - every day we leave the current mess around makes
> people follow the instructions and move themselves into a broken state.

I said I would work on a script and I am, but I didn't sign up for any
schedule.  As I see it the big deal is having a script for when 2020Q4
happens.

I realize migration is manual now, but I am not following "mess" and
people being i a "broken state".  It seems to me that following the
instructions works and I am not seeing a lot of requests for help any
more.

I floated a plan and got some private positive comments and no
objections.   So I declare the motion passed.

I can, probably today, definitely tomorrow, adjust the instructions
following the plan I floated, specifically:

  put PKG_DBDIR=/usr/pkg/pkgdb in /etc/pkg_install.conf

  remove guidance to overwrite base utlitiies

I believe that once on has PKG_DBDIR set in pkg_install.conf, and has
the actual dir where the mk files expect it, that all is ok.  (Yes,
pkg_install.conf needs to be in pbulk chroots, but people doing pbulk I
think are able to cope.)

Further, I think it makes sense to tell people to put PKG_DBDIR in
mk.conf also.  That way their chosen dir, whatever it is, is set for all
tools.

> We should *really* back out all changes *now*, undo the pullups
> to the netbsd stable branches, and *then* sit back, re-think how the
> move should happen and do it differently sometime in the future.
>
> Everyone who has managed to (semi-) move by now will easily be able to
> move back.

If you as release manager want to make the call that this is too messy
and back out everything, I don't object.  But I don't have time to do
that, and I don't want to become responsible.

Keep in mind that backing out also involves a new pkg_install version
number that is higher than the existing ones, on top of the actual
backing out.

If you do back it out, I will update the instuctions into a wiki page
about how to deal with this in the various states, and I'm going to say
"set PKG_DBDIR in pkg_install.conf and mk.conf"

I will ask that if you decide to do that backout, that it be completed
by the end of Sunday UTC, because the 2020Q4 branch freeze is starting.

> Unless someone has a working solution ready and we can move to "fixed"
> state immediately, but I have big doubts believing that all fallout has
> already been found.

I think setting PKG_DBDIR in pkg_install.conf and mk.conf is entirely
sufficient, leaving only the bootstrapping problem of rebuilding
pkg_install without cwrappers/distcc/ccache.   That's not that big a
deal, just mildly annoying.