Re: Bootstrapping pkgsrc with a compiler

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 09:49:28AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Listing what actual ABI issues exist today is useful.  But it does not
>> refute the statement that there are no stability specifications.  And
>> this is pkgsrc, with many compilers and many platforms.
>
> I am trying to say that it is not C++ and ABI that are the big issue here,
> but specific switches like what happened to the internal libstdc++ in NetBSD,
> or "restricted" issues with specific compilers (gcc) and their C++ runtime.

I don't follow.   There are certainly multiple ABI issues, and what I am
saying is that we have to be careful, unless we can prove that there are
not and will not be issues.   The C++ ABI is not guaranteed stable.
There is also the NetBSD libstdc++ change.   And there are other compilers.

> As you say, this is pkgsrc, with many compilers and many platforms. Many
> of them may not see the lossage, but that does tell nothing about the others.

Right, so therefore we must build *everything* with the same compiler.

I thought you were arguing that this was unnecessary.