"libtoolifying" packages, was devel/readline and pc file

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 09:00:45AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Readline has odd build/install targets, not explained:
>
> BUILD_TARGET=           everything-libtool
> INSTALL_TARGET=         install-libtool
>
> and this leads to not installing the pkgconfig file, that upstream added
> years ago, and which at least one other program expects.
>
> Does anyone understand why readline doesn't install readline.pc?
>
> Absent an explanation (in a comment committed to the Makefile!), I'll
> presume this is just a bug.

Almost certainly an oversight because the package is one of the few
where someone patched in libtool support with custom targets (possibly
to support macOS, other systems with unusual linkers?). But none of
this was upstreamed.

I'm not fond of us doing this. The notion that every library is built
and installed with libtool is going away thanks to the rise of non-GNU
build systems, and it's probably best to fix this in another way.
The makefile patches make updates very annoying, and alternative
package managers supporting non-ELF non-GNU linkers like Homebrew
don't have this problem.