Re: mail/mutt and BDB_ACCEPTED

* On 2020-04-07 at 21:12 BST, Rhialto wrote:

> On Tue 07 Apr 2020 at 15:25:18 +0200, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> > It turned out in the end that "../../mk/bdb.buildlink3.mk" was
> > prematuredly included, before BDB_ACCEPTED was set. Indeed it happened
> > as early as somewhere during the
> >
> > .include "../../mk/bsd.options.mk"
> >
> > near the top of the file.
>
> How do other people debug this sort of stuff? The only way I can think
> of is to litter the makefiles with many ".info before FOO" type lines.
> Make's -d options all output way too much crap to be useful.
>
> It turns out that the first time that mk/bdb.buildlink3.mk is included
> is somewhere during
>
> .  include "../../mk/krb5.buildlink3.mk", which does
> .  include "../../security/heimdal/buildlink3.mk", which does
> .include "../../mk/bdb.buildlink3.mk"
>
> It is included a second time from something I didn't trace,
>
> and then finally it is included a 3rd time directly from
> mail/mutt/options.mk.

The 'show-buildlink3' target is helpful here.  For example on my macOS
system in mail/mutt:

  $ bmake show-buildlink3
  mit-krb5
  ncursesw
      ncurses
  cyrus-sasl
      dl
  openssl
  tokyocabinet
      bzip2
      lzo
      zlib
      pthread
  gpgme
      libassuan
          libgpg-error
              gettext
                  iconv
      libgpg-error
  zlib
  iconv
  gettext
  pthread

The fact that mit-krb5 is the default on most systems is perhaps why
this issue hasn't surfaced as quickly.