Re: Going to update lang/ghc7 to 7.10.3

PHO <pho%cielonegro.org@localhost> writes:

> GHC 7.10.3 is the last version that can bootstrap with existing 7.6.3
> bootkits. I built 7.10.3 bootkit for NetBSD/amd64 and uploaded it to
> LOCAL_PORTS, but for other platforms I currently have no suitable
> machines to build one. If any developers can build them it's highly
> appreciated.
>
> The base version has been bumped from 4.6 to 4.8, so it's highly likely
> that updating it will break some packages depending on GHC. I will take
> care of that later.

Thanks for looking after ghc.   Please take these comments with the
understanding that I am not 100% sure I know what I'm talking about here...

The bootstrap situation is difficult in general, and I think it would be
helpful to have a written plan of how that works, including how to get
new arches, and perhaps how to move forward in steps.  I see there is
some of this.

It would be really nice if there were some support in pkgsrc for
building a cross ghc, so that someone could do this wihtout being a ghc
wizard.  (I realize that perhaps one is supposed to use the cross one
and then build the native package on the target, and that seems like a
good check.)

It seems reasonable to keep ghc7 around until it seems really pointless;
having a second package doesn't hurt.