Re: Default to fetching from CDN first?

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-ujm2000%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 at 19:00, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> In a shipping system, defaults should be chosen for the convenience of
>> end users, not developers.  Isn't that a pretty widely held opinion?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "shipping system", but I assume you mean
> a package manager? If this is case, all your average end user wants is
> tons of pre-made binaries that can be installed in a nano second.
> Pkgin can do that. Once the binary is built, ready and available, the
> end user could not care less if it took ages or not to build packages
> and/or what configure flags were used.

pkgsrc supports building from source.  So someone who installs
/usr/pkgsrc and goes to build packages (because they want to use them,
maybe because they want non-default options, maybe because they are
using a system that doesn't have binary packages, whatever) is a valid
use case, separately from "package developer" and "binary package
user".  I'm 99% sure that's what Thor is talking about.