TeX package versions

I am planning to add a few TeX packages, some of which have date-based versions, e.g., 2002-08-23.  I notice that most of the similar packages only use the year as the package version number, not the entire date.  My experience with other types of packages seems to be that the entire date is used for the version.  What is the reason for the difference with TeX packages?  Is this some type of convention?  Is the year sufficient?

Cheers,
Brook