Re: String offset errors on evbarm 8.99 [PR 54159]

On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 10:03:57AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> > On Aug 4, 2019, at 9:40 AM, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
> >
> > If I'm not mistaken, from ARM ELF File Format, the .strtab section is
> > only used for debugging and has nothing to do with execution? (In order
> > to assess the scope of the problem.)
>
> The string tables are used for symbol lookup, yes?

OK, thanks!

So to close the thread hoping that somebody else can give it a try:

- the dynamically shared libraries are, in some cases, created with a
wrong .strtab, too short: not all the symbols have their corresponding
string (indeed, almost none has);

- the section can only be seen using readelf(1) and not objdump(1) that
uses BFD and doesn't handle everything:
	- readelf -S will give the sections including ".strtab";
	- readelf -p .strtab will give the strings;

- linking the very same object files compiled with -fPIC and whatever,
found in the .libs/ subdirectories, with an invocation like:

	$CC -shared [--sysroot=<the_destdir_if_xcomp>] -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib\
		-o the_lib.so\
		object1.o [object2.o...]\
		[-L=/usr/lib] [-l<otherlib>...]

doesn't exhibit the problem.

So if someone knows how to make the automake/libtool/pkgsrc publish what
is exactly called, finding the libtool invocation for the creation of
the dshared lib should at least narrow the search by comparison with the
above call.
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/