Re: make install clean dependencies

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 08:15:05PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:31:10PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >> Perhaps, or perhaps pkg_add should have a "tell me if this is available"
> >> which is unprived.
> >
> > ...which has been around for a decade, give or take a month.
>
> I amend my remark to "perhaps bin-install should use it" :-)

It could still be useful to alter slightly "pkg_add -n" by sending the
FQpkgpath to stdout with the rest staying on stderr.

Because if pkg_add fails:

1) if the FQname is not set, then one can try to compile;

2) if it is set but pkg_add would fail it is useless to continue:
	a) no need to compile: it already exists somewhere;
	b) one would not be able either to install a local compiled version.

> >> Certainly we could add a package-install-clean target, and people could
> >> set DEPENDS_TARGET to that.   There's no particular reason though why
> >> bin-install and package-install should be different about cleaning.
> >
> > You can set "DEPENDS_TARGET=install clean" already.
>
> In that case, it seems bin-install should not clean, and people who want
> taht can set DEPENDS_TARGET to "bin-install clean", even if that's the
> 99% view, because there's no way to unclean.

Hum... I discovered DEPENDS_TARGET by reading the mk files (and
bin-install the same way). It seems to me that for the normal user, the
straightforward action should do what is generally useful. And I fail to
see why one needs to clutter disks or memory with object files once a
package is done...

Just a _user_ point of view.
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/