Re: Wip and tech-pkg, was: ADMIN: please do not crosspost, list purpose

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 13:48, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> We have two discussion lists for pkgsrc, and there has been a signifcant
>> amount of crossposting, which defeats the purpose of separation.
>>
>> Please do not crosspost to pkgsrc-users and tech-pkg.  If you are
>> tempted to crosspost, or unsure which list to choose, please use only
>> pkgsrc-users.  If you reply to a crosspost, please trim to one list when
>> replying.
>>
>> tech-pkg is for discussion of proposed changes to files under pkgsrc/mk
>> and structural, wide-ranging, or high-consequence issues within pkgsrc.
>> (It is understood that the line between pkgsrc-users and tech-pkg is a
>> bit hard to draw, and that's ok.)
>
> Quick question: if a topic is about modifying or cloning a package in
> wip AND the package has pkgsrc-users%netbsd.org@localhost as its maintainer,
> which list would the topic fit? (I remember asking a similar question
> 5 years ago when I cloned Abiword but I can't recall what the
> consensus was)

That's probably a hard call.

pkgsrc-users@ being the maintainer is sort of a token that says there is
no maintainer, not a declaration that the membership of pkgsrc-users
maintains the package.

I'd say that if you have thoroughly read the pkgsrc guide, tried to look
for examples, and read the comments in the mk files you are considering
including, and you still have a question about how to do something, then
I don't think it will ruffle any feathers to have it on tech-pkg.  If
you are new and haven't gotten used to the pkgsrc (implementing) way
yet, or if the question is really about how users would best be served
by various choices, then it probably is best to head to pkgsrc-users.

Per-package questions are a hard call; leot@ pointed out to me privately
that some of the documentation points to tech-pkg.  I feel, and I think
most do, that if our only mailinglist problem is varying sorting of
borderline cases into our two lists, then life is great and we have no
problems.  I'd prefer to accept a fairly large bit of fuzz and not dwell
on this -- my message was mostly caused by crossposting.