Re: Removing interix support

On 5/27/19 6:57 PM, Tobias Nygren wrote:
Yes please. Unlike other legacy platforms there is an upgrade path(*)
for users from Subsystem For Unix to the more modern Windows System
for Linux. We should leave a reference to Interix in the documentation.
Maybe leave README.Interix and put a message in there saying it was
removed and point to WSL.

(*) Caveat minor being that WSL cannot be installed on Windows 7, but 7
     is due to be desupported by Microsoft early next year anyway.

Nitpicking, Interix and WSL are not much related IMO.

Interix was a native Windows NT subsystem for POSIX programs (using the PE executable format), while WSL is a framework to run Linux binaries on Windows (probably with some or more kernel support).

So WSL seems to be the equivalent of WINE on Linux, just in the other direction. M$ probably had not much headache to create WSL, given that Linux kernel and libraries are available in source code. The WINE guys have a much harder time and need to reverse-engineer the Windows code. It'd be nice for M$ to give something back to the community in this direction...

That said, I'm fine with the removal of Interix support, I've never used it beyond a hello-world program...

regards,
chris