Re: Removing interix support

On Mon, 27 May 2019 14:24:54 +0000
coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Interix was the old way of getting POSIX things working on Windows.
> Nowadays there are other, better ways of doing it.
>
> Interix occasionally required invasive changes to packages, like openssh
> before https://v4.freshbsd.org/commit/netbsd/pkgsrc/Q6ZOqBt348zsPwlB
> It wasn't a very good POSIX platform.
>
> I doubt anyone tested such changes in a while and likely any real
> interix user will encounter issues with having a too old compiler.
>
> Proposal: we stop claiming interix support and gradually remove it from
> places.
>
> Thoughts?

Yes please. Unlike other legacy platforms there is an upgrade path(*)
for users from Subsystem For Unix to the more modern Windows System
for Linux. We should leave a reference to Interix in the documentation.
Maybe leave README.Interix and put a message in there saying it was
removed and point to WSL.

(*) Caveat minor being that WSL cannot be installed on Windows 7, but 7
    is due to be desupported by Microsoft early next year anyway.

-Tobias