Re: Help with package that has a build dependency on a Linux binary

> On May 17, 2019, at 7:25 AM, Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> Hi Jason!
>
> On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 07:48:52AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>> I'm working on a package update that has a dependency on a Linux x86_64 binary for which sources are not available.  I have the package building on my local NetBSD/amd64 system, with the suse_base-13.1nb15 emulation package installed.  This is only a build-time dependency.  Once built, the single package can be installed on any system (it's a u-boot package, so nothing actually runs on the system you install it on -- it's just a blob that's blasted on an SDMMC card later).
>>
>> Because this tool is really only useful for this particular package, I'm loathe to make a separate package just for it (and eventually, open source replacements for this tool may work, but for the moment, they don't).
>
> That's what I'd do.

Sigh, ok :-)  Deep down, in the pit of my soul, I know it's the right thing to do.  I was, however, hoping that laziness would prevail :-)

So, if I were to make this "amlogic-meson-fwtools" package, I have a couple of questions:

-- What's the correct way to express the run-time dependency on the Linux emulation package?

-- What's the correct way to express that there is NO BUILD-TIME dependency on this package?  These things aren't distributed as RPMs or anything, just naked binaries, but I'd want building a binary package to work.

>> Right now, my work-in-progress just downloads the binaries from the vendor, chmod's them, and runs them from $DISTDIR, and I have:
>>
>> BUILD_DEPENDS+=         suse_base>=13.1nb15:../../emulators/suse131_base
>>
>> ...to express the dependency on the Linux emulation package (it may work with an older one, but I haven't tried it, and nor am I likely to).
>>
>> This particular u-boot package is also part of the u-boot meta package, and I guess I'd like some way to express "optionally depends on" for that.
>>
>> Can someone help me out of this pickle?
>
> It seems you got it working already. What exactly do you need?

Well, yes, it's working for me... but I want to make sure that I don't e.g. break bulk builds on PowerPC, or bulk builds on SmartOS / Illumos, etc.  So, I guess I'll make "u-boot for amlogic systems" an option that defaults to "on" for NetBSD on x86_64 and "off" for everything else, for the u-boot meta-package.  And then I guess

> Optional depends - you can add an option to the package that just
> pulls in the package if the option is set. There are lots of
> options.mk files in pkgsrc, a simple one is in
> audio/esound/options.mk.
> Thomas

-- thorpej