builtin vs pkgsrc libepoxy - Undefined PLT symbol "epoxy_has_glx"

I'm building with X11_TYPE=modular. So pkgsrc libgdk-3 builds against pkgsrc libepoxy but at runtime picks up base libepoxy (they are both named libepoxy.so.0.0.0.

This fails at runtime with

/usr/pkg/lib/libgdk-3.so.0: Undefined PLT symbol "epoxy_has_glx" (symnum = 65)

I'm building pkgsrc on NetBSD-8 with most everything overridden to use pkgsrc gcc6, so that might be an additional factor, but I think this should be reproducible with just X11_TYPE=modular

Setting LD_PRELOAD=/usr/pkg/lib/libepoxy.so.0 gets apps to start.

Should pkgsrc libepoxy have a different so version?

Thanks

David