Re: making gfortran work better

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 09:35:13AM -0500, Jason Bacon wrote:
> What platform(s) have you tested this on?
>
> It seems like a good idea, but I tend to be paranoid about such far-reaching
> changes, as I've seen some very surprising
> consequences of seemingly innocuous mods many times in the past.
>
> Specifically, I depend heavily on use of C, C++, and Fortran all from the
> same gcc package on CentOS.  I don't see any
> danger from this change, but the fact that I don't see something doesn't
> mean it's not there.
>
> I would just like to see thorough testing on a variety of platforms before
> committing something like this. I can contribute
> to the effort.A

Yeah, it would be nice to have a bulk build with this change and pkgsrc
gfortran.

(I've written several versions of this email as I kept on debugging and
discovered more of the necessary bits as I did! This one was the most
commit-worthy and seems logical. It might be a problem if something
expects to invoke gfortran at runtime, though!)

I am mostly trying to confirm that the case of not-pkgsrc GCC and
pkgsrc-gfortran work.
I suspect if both come from pkgsrc it already did, and if neither come
from pkgsrc it did as well (barring bugs).