Re: installing libpng.so

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 11:34:15AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 09:14:49AM +0000, coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
> > Extra versioned bullshit is making using not-pkgsrc hard.
>
> I haven't checked, but I thought that many distributions have the
> versioned file only. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it doesn't matter because of:
>
> > We can strip the violent hacks we do in buildlink3.mk because the rest
> > of the world installs with -lpng and now non-pkgsrc use will work again.
>
> No, only ancient packages directly use -lpng, all the others use
> pkg-config (as they should) and work fine.

You are concealing how many packages need this with having this violent
hack:

BUILDLINK_TRANSFORM+=   l:png:png16

I've personally had to explain to people that no, they can't just expect
libraries to exist under the name they would be provided under on a
default installation of libpng. Please use this weird pkgconfig tool because
it shouldn't be possible to build anything without it. BTW, we insist on
not calling it pkg-config any more so you have to make the name
configurable.

Wasting upstreams times like that is how they say "fuck setting up a buildbot
on any platform that relies on pkgsrc".