Re: devel/cmake patch

Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost> writes:

>> On Jul 7, 2018, at 10:08 AM, Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 07, 2018 at 07:55:35AM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:
>>> I do, however, know that on this system, which is a major
>>> supercomputing center that would be nice to have pkgsrc working
>>> for, I have identified a problem and the underlying reason (ncurses
>>> v. curses).  I hope we can identify how to fix the Makefile for
>>> this to work out of the box.
>>
>> Reminds me of
>>
>>  https://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2018/06/28/msg027080.html
>>
>> which was solved with a
>>
>>  sudo apt install libncurses5-dev
>>
>> Presumably that isn't enough?
>
> Thanks for the pointer.  However, I am uncertain why a solution for
> pkgsrc would involve an apt install.  Isn't the point to set all the
> requirements in the pkgsrc Makefiles so that "it just works"?  Maybe I
> don't understand the underlying context of the email thread you are
> referring to.

The basic question is what the environment pkgsrc expects at bootstrap
(and for that bootstrap to be usable on some other system).  This should
be explained in bootstrap/README.Linux :-) It is to some extent -- and
even says to install libncurses5-dev, but it needs a prereq section for
RHEL, and probably to say something about distributions not related to
Debian or RHEL.   And arguably bootstrap should check and fail if the
required stuff is not present.