Re: gtk3 and cups

Leonardo Taccari <leot%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> Greg Troxel writes:
>> I just noticed that gtk3 now defaults to depending on cups, and that
>> this was recently added.  This seems like a big change, and my
>> impression was that we didn't generally do that, because there are a
>> variety of approaches to printing in use.  I don't remember discussion
>> about it, but maybe I missed it.
>
> There were only a couple of emails on pkgsrc-changes@. :)

Thanks - this is a big enough change that tech-pkg discussion is
warranted.

>> What do people think?  Some people seem to think cups is necessary, and
>> some people seem to hate it and banish it from their systems.
>>
>> (I don't really understand why a graphics toolkit needs to deal with
>> printing, but I'm guessing there is some print widget included.)
>
> AFAICS all packages that have a `cups' option have it disabled by
> default and gtk3 is the only exception.
>
> I would prefer that also gtk3 has it disabled in order to avoid a
> dependency to cups-base for every gtk3 users and be consistent with
> other packages in pkgsrc. Actually it is also possible to print
> using cups also *without* having the `cups' option enabled for gtk3
> if the lpr picked up is the one provided by cups (e.g. /usr/pkg/bin/lpr).
> And, IMHO, that's another reason to avoid forcing that.
>
> (Yes, there is a widget that can be showed via
> `gtk3-demo --run=printing' and it's present in several GTK3
> applications).

I also got a private reply not being enthused about cups defaulting to
enabled, plus me, so that's three comments against and none for (so
really 1).  Based on that, I've reverted it so that 2018Q2 will have the
traditional behavior.

(I realize there are lots of opinions about this, and that the person
who made cups be default thought this was uncontroversial.)

For the future, my thoughts are:

  lots of people don't like cups, so it's better not to require it

  cups doesn't build on mac, and I'm uncomfortable with per-OS options
  for reasons like that

  it certainly is good if people running cups can print without
  trouble, and this may or may not require cups support in some
  packages, but I'm really not clear on the details

So if someone wants to propose making cups default, please send a note
to tech-pkg enabling understanding and discussion of the tradeoffs.

Thanks,
Greg