Re: Webserver users

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 07:56:55AM +0200, Frédéric Fauberteau wrote:

> Le 2018-04-26 22:13, Joerg Sonnenberger a écrit :
> > On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 09:30:15PM +0200, triaxx wrote:
> > > An ideal solution should be to have php applications depending on
> > > either
> > > apache + ap-php or nginx/lighttpd + php-fpm... But we don't have
> > > dynamic
> > > depencies yet.
> >
> > I'd prefer if they just depended on the php core language and left the
> > choice of web server binding to the administrator. There are a variety
> > of PHP supervisors for example, no need to wire anyone down.
>
> You're right. I just forget "e.g." :)
>
> Without dynamic dependencies, we could imagine a post-install script that
> interactively helps admin to install required dependencies, copy config
> files to the right places, init database... but it looks immoderate for now
> IMO.

My point is that the web server <-> PHP binding is not a dependency of
the application. Just like the X server is not a dependency of KDE.
I don't think we need to provide a post-install script either. It's not
like the admin doesn't need to customize things anyway, i.e. to specify
how the PHP app is hooked into the vhost mapping etc. We don't need to
do anything like that for Perl or Python based frameworks, so why should
we have to do it for PHP?

Joerg