Re: [GSOC 2018] project proposal: Version control config files

Thanks.
I have updated the document at https://www.scribd.com/document/374557117/
GSOC-2018-public-proposal-conf-versioning-in-pkgsrc?
secret_password=eEZwOcGIyoie156VXgko
fixing some language and adding a convention for specifying a package version
range  the branch is compatible with, how the repo should be structured and
how to select the closest matching branch for the files.

Hoping it all goes well, I copy down here how I'm thinking to do it, for
feedback:

[...] additional features could be implemented, such as support for pulling
site and <package,version,range,role> specific configuration from a networked
repository upon installation [...]

All CONF_FILES needed should be hierarchically placed in accordance with
pkgsrc software categories and package naming (eg, under /mail/postfix/) and
branched with a name expression of the system role (eg, myproject-
testing_net02) and version information (eg 3.2.5_3.0_any), up for checks
disposed this way:

If a branch exactly matches the version of the package being installed, that
branch gets selected, otherwise the procedure should choose the next closest
one and check if the version of the package being installed is included in the
range information conveyed by the naming convention.

Then, if a role other than "any" is specified by the branch name, it is
compared with the role defined in pkgsrc configuration and selected. The last
part of the branch name is optional and, if present, compared character by
character with the system hostname, finally selecting the branch that best
matches it.

Fields are separated by "_"