Re: Why does wip/parallel still exist?

Hello Thomas,

"Dr. Thomas Orgis" writes:
> I see parallel/parallel being present in pkgsrc CVS, a clearly newer
> version than wip/parallel. Shouldn't the latter be removed?

Probably just accidentally and yes, I guess it can be removed but I
would ask about that to the maintainer.

> Also, I am in the process of adapting my local patch that avoided the
> conflict of parallel/parallel and misc/moreutils. I just dropped the
> bin/parallel from the latter. I presume, you lot would prefer installing
> bin/parallel.moreutils instead? An option that triggers the conflict?
> What is preferred?
>
> Please note that both parallel programs are very similar, but not
> interchangeable.

Nice catch! After a quick (and incomplete!) search in other package
systems it seems that:

 - RPM and OpenBSD ports do not install `parallel'
 - Debian install it as `parallel' (like pkgsrc right now)
 - FreeBSD ports install it as `moreutils-parallel'

I would prefer to rename it and its man page as `moreutils-parallel' as
well. What do you think?

If that's okay I will wait some days and then adjust misc/moreutils
accordingly.

Thank you for reporting that!