Re: Cleaner OPSYS "features" support

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 10:04:44AM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
 > I recently changed the OSX 10.6 builds to use a newer GCC, and that
 > has now exposed the lack of strnlen on that platform.  After manually
 > patching a few packages I figured it'd be a lot better to simply
 > extend our existing "features" infrastructure to support it.
 >
 > I really dislike the OPSYS hardcoding in mk/features/features-vars.mk
 > so have started to extrapolate the information correctly into
 > mk/platform with the addition of strnlen.  The commit is here:
 >
 >   https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc/commit/20e52a141688ffa3ce341f52050242621e585996

LGTM (FWIW)

 > It's not enough of an issue to go in before the freeze, this is just a
 > quick review request for the general approach and I'll work on
 > extending it further before committing after the freeze.

It seems like a good idea to me.

 > I'd also like to change libnbcompat to be a standalone package rather
 > than the inplace stuff, as the more we use it the more this costs.  If
 > there are things to watch out for when doing this let me know.

Yes, that also seems like a good idea; the current behavior has always
seemed strange.

The thing to worry about I guess is uses in pkgtools, that might lead
to circular deps or bootstrap issues. Both pkg_install and cwrappers
have USE_FEATURES=nbcompat. So it might be necessary to keep the
option to build it in place...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost