Using gcc on clang-based systems

I'd like to try the following setup on Darwin and FreeBSD:

1. Use native clang to build gcc48

2. Use gcc48 to build everything else

Much like the system we've been discussing for CentOS 6 and other systems with an outdated base GCC.

The approach is similar here, but the motive is different.  On clang-based Darwin and FreeBSD systems, there are problems building packages that rely on some libraries built with clang and and others built with gcc.  math/R is one high-profile example, but anything built with gfortran might be problematic.

So I'd like to try forsaking the native clang and building everything with the same pkgsrc gcc, which I suspect will cause minimal issues given that most pkgsrc packages are designed to work with any compiler.

I'm not seeing an obvious way to accomplish this at the moment. I've tried a few things with PKGSRC_COMPILER and USE_PKGSRC_GCC, but no luck yet.  Setting PKGSRC_COMPILER=gcc seems to put any build into a recursive infinite loop.  USE_PKGSRC_GCC=yes seems to have no effect without PKGSRC_COMPILER.

--
Earth is a beta site.