Re: using clang from pkgsrc to build packages?

On 30.12.2017 18:35, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I don't want to derail the "how to deal with gcc" discussion, but it
> seems likely that using clang on older NetBSD results in a better
> situation than using the older gcc, and it therefore seems useful to
> improve notes about how to use clang.
>
> This page:
>
>   https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/pkgsrc/clang/
>
> explains how to use the clang bundled with NetBSD with pkgsrc.
>

> I wonder how well it works on various NetBSD versions if one does:
>
>   start with no packages
>   build/install lang/clang from pkgsrc
>   set: PKGSRC_COMPILER=clang CLANGBASE=/usr/pkg
>   continue
>
> Is this something I should put in the wiki?  Or is the above a bad thing
> to do??
> Has anybody tried it, particularly, on 5, 6, or 7?

This setup works well and almost everything is buildable.

The exceptions (at least a single one in pkgsrc) use GCC inline
functions with a trampoline. Another problem is that some programs
compile slowly due to bugs in the compiler (this is true for gforth).

There is need to add HAVE_LLVM=yes in mk.conf(5) in order to feed clang
with compatible command line options.

I'm using personally a standalone clang setup with a standalone ccache:

PKGSRC_COMPILER=        ccache clang
CCACHE_BASE=            /usr/local
CCACHE_DIR=             /public/ccache_tmp
CCACHE_LOGFILE=         /tmp/ccache.txt
PKG_CC=                 clang
PKG_CXX=                clang++
CLANGBASE=              /usr/local