Re: Renaming cups to cups-base and depend on cups-filters

		Hi Joerg, tech-pkg@,

On 12/11/2017 21:24, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 08:53:37AM +1300, Mark Davies wrote:
>> On 13/11/17 03:30, Pierre Pronchery wrote:
>>> I understand however that some users do not care about a functional
>>> cups, and therefore do not want the extra few megabytes of cups-filters
>>> installed.
>>
>> Note that cups-filters is only required on machines that run a cups
>> server.   I have many machines that use cups quite happily that don't
>> have cups-filters installed as they only use the client libraries.
>
> It's even more restricted. Whether cups-filters is needed depends on the
> type of printer as well. I.e. if the local server is only forwarding to
> another IPP enabled device, you often don't need cups-filters too. This
> change was seriously rushed...

That's exactly my situation and yes, I needed cups-filters anyway.

The management interface of CUPS is unusable without cups-filters: it is
impossible to print a test page, or to complete adding or modifying
printer setups (missing files), among other issues with PDF or
Postscript support.

So no, it wasn't rushed, it was more than time, and the previous
situation made me lose entire days.

Cheers,
--
khorben