Re: Selecting a C++ compiler

On 10/12/17 18:30, Greg Troxel wrote:
Jason Bacon<bacon4000%gmail.com@localhost>  writes:

Well, it didn't take long to hit a problem on CentOS 6.  Apparently
GCC 4.4.7 cannot compile the current gcc5.
That's really unfortunate.   If we can't patch it, I wonder if that
means people on older systems should do some multistage bootstrap from a
script before running pkgsrc proper.

Or maybe they should build and use clang.

Hold the phone...

Most of the GCC issues I'm hitting seem to be caused by FORTIFY_SOURCE.

I see that the current Joyent packages for CentOS 7 are missing 4.9, 5, and 6.  Only 4.8 and 7 are present.  I hit the same failures in my bulk builds, but so far PKGSRC_USE_FORTIFY=no fixed 4.9 and 5.  My gcc6 build is running now.  All these are using 4.8 as the base compiler.  I'll attempt another gcc5 build using the 4.4 base compiler + PKGSRC_USE_FORTIFY=no shortly and will report more tomorrow after sorting all this out.

--
Earth is a beta site.