Re: Detecting binary package build

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 09:31:52AM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> * On 2017-09-24 at 08:53 BST, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 08:20:59AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > > If you absolutely need compile time cpu detection, make it an option but
> > > default to off.
> >
> > We generally avoid negative options. That's why the runtime detection in
> > mplayer is a default-on option and not the reverse.
>
> It's not a negative option though, it's just a (imho) bad
> PKG_SUGGESTED_OPTIONS default.  I agree with the principle that we
> shouldn't default to host-specific build options, and would rather we
> turned this off by default.  We currently have to ensure our bulk
> builds are built with
>
>   PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+= -mplayer-runtime-cpudetection

which AFAIK is not the case.
But as our mplayer binaries can't be redistributed that's not a problem ...

But "universal" binaries should be the default for packages (as it is
for the base system).
For example, I build packages on a fast host that I will run on lower-end
systems, and I would be shoked to need specific build options to do that.