Re: Detecting binary package build

    Date:        Fri, 22 Sep 2017 20:07:25 -0500
    From:        Jason Bacon <bacon4000%gmail.com@localhost>

  | So there's nothing like the FreeBSD ports PACKAGE_BUILDING variable,
  | which is automatically set during a binary package build (by poudriere,
  | I believe)?

As I understand things, in pkgsrc, all builds are binary package builds.
When you (or any user) builds a pkg from source to install it, pkgsrc
makes the binary package, and then installs that.

The only real differences from a pbulk build is how many packages are being
built at about the same time, whether they actually end up installed in
a place where normal users of the system will see them, and what happens
to the binary package files that are constructed along the way.

Doing things this way has lots of advantages, not least ensuring that
some who (without changing the build options) builds from source gets
the exact same thing installed, in the exact same way, as someone who
downloads and installs a binary package.   That is, if you want different
you have to explicitly configure it.

kre

ps: I suspect that a large percentage of the people who really know all
this are currently semi off-line at a meeting in Paris - wait a bit longer
and you should get better confirmation (or not) of this.