Re: Issues with larger numbers with -j

On 06/13/17 20:03, John Klos wrote:
Hi,

I've noticed a number of instances when compiling pkgsrc packages with a large value for -j failures, where compiling with a small number or -j 1 compiles just fine. For instance, devel/readline and lang/python36 have failed in the last few minutes with -j 40.

This is on a GNU/Linux Ubuntu system running on Power which can have up to 160 simultaneous threads. I don't have any NetBSD systems that run more than 16 simultaneous threads, so I can't say whether the same issues exist elsewhere.

Has anyone seen this?

John

I saw this with htcondor in FreeBSD ports a few years ago. The build consistently failed on a 16 core machine and consistently worked on a 4 core machine. Some Makefiles are not really job-safe because they don't accurately describe all dependencies, but a small number of make jobs won't trigger the problem because prerequisites happen to get built before they're needed.

What's the error you're getting? It should tell you what the problem is and maybe you can tweak the Makefile to make it fully job-safe.

--
Earth is a beta site.