Issues with larger numbers with -j

Hi,

I've noticed a number of instances when compiling pkgsrc packages with a large value for -j failures, where compiling with a small number or -j 1 compiles just fine. For instance, devel/readline and lang/python36 have failed in the last few minutes with -j 40.

This is on a GNU/Linux Ubuntu system running on Power which can have up to 160 simultaneous threads. I don't have any NetBSD systems that run more than 16 simultaneous threads, so I can't say whether the same issues exist elsewhere.

Has anyone seen this?

John