Re: Please review wip/htslib

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 10:48:04AM -0500, Jason Bacon wrote:

> I believe this package should be about ready to commit, but I welcome any
> suggestions.
>
> This is the first of dozens of scientific packages we hope to commit in the
> near future, so I'd like to get as much feedback as possible now and save
> some needless chatter about future packages.
>
> Note: I am aware that htslib 1.4 is available, but it has API changes that
> make it incompatible with a number of dependent packages, so it will be a
> while before it becomes mainstream in genomics research.

1) Why does the package Makefile set CPPFLAGS to -I${PREFIX}/include?
   If it's to find the zlib headers, you shouldn't need to do anything
   at all after including the zlib/buildlink3.mk file.

2) The package Makefile sets MAKE_ENV to various macros for installing
   files.  INSTALL_DIR should probably be set to ${INSTALL_LIB_DIR}.

3) patch-Makefile is incorrect.  The package should be respecting the
   value of ${PKGMANDIR} for the location of the manpages.

4) Why does the patch to configure.ac set the version to 1.3 while the
   package version is 1.3.2?