Re: handling versioning change

1. Epoch is not used in package's name, it's only available in metadata.

End-user (binary packages' consumer) should never need to know if
cowsay's package name is cowsay-20160103$suffix or cowsay-1.0$suffix,
neither to determine which one is newer.

2. Speaking of : as meta character reservation is irrelevant. It can be
presented as cowsay E1 1.0 vs E0 20160103. Nobody cares. The point is to
have independent versioning from PKGVERSION, not visible to users as
it's irrelevant to anybody else than a package's maintainer.

3. Pain of incompatibility? Lack of function "Obsoletes" (after
package's rename) and PKGEPOCH is pushing pkgsrc backwards. (There are
few other features, I don't want to talk about them right now here
making pkgsrc suboptimal in comparison with RPM* from 2000).

Please note that Red Hat tracks its binary packages' updates without
such interruptions like that, with renames and reordering versions since
90ties. (I don't know what was before ~1995 when they escaped the Perl
trap in order to rewrite RPM to C). SUSE has extensions but they are
able to flawlessly handle upgrades of packages (of course modulo human
errors) since ever. The same with Mandrake successors (currently Mageia).

In the pkgsrc world we request from users and developers to perform
these awkward manual interventions, that enforces me to just rebuild all
packages from scratch rather than handle it manually or
semiautomatically with existing utilities.

* yeah, I used to know RPM internals.