Re: handling versioning change

Filip Hajny <filip%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

> does anybody have a suggestion on how to deal with a package that
> changed versioning from an incremental to a semver-ish one? The
> upstream for archivers/lz4 just went from r131 to v1.7.3, see [1]. In
> the eyes of any dependency pattern checks, it’s a downgrade.

I see three options:

  1) just change the version and people will have to deal, once

  2) do something like 132.1.7.3 and be kludgy forever

  3) Implement some silent metadata in versions just for tools that
  check versons, so that the human-presented version is right.  I dimly
  recall discussion of this (EPOCH?) but can't find it.

Overall I don't see (1) as really problematic.