Re: some x11 stuff in pkgsrc is hopelessly broken for slightly older systems

At Thu, 21 Jul 2016 17:51:40 -0400, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: some x11 stuff in pkgsrc is hopelessly broken for slightly older systems

> So you are building from source (fine) but not using build.sh, and you
> are doing something to use XFree86, still in sources, instead of the
> default xorg?

Of course I'm using build.sh, but that wouldn't actually matter given
how these things are controlled under the hood by make and /etc/mk.conf

U.T.S.L.  You'll see how xsrc/xfree is used.  Look for X11FLAVOUR.

Just because something has a default value doesn't mean any existing
alternatives are not supported, and indeed in this case there is no
documentation, nor even any hint in any comments in the code or
elsewhere, that suggest this particular alternative for X11 is not
supported.

In fact quite the opposite is true.  XFree86 is explicitly mentioned as
supported, and indeed as the default, for certain architectures.

I.e. the existing documentation for how to build NetBSD-6, NetBSD-7 (and
-current up to 2015/07/23) says that *XFree86* is a valid option of, and
indeed that it is still the _default_ of, X11FLAVOUR for acorn32, alpha,
amiga, mac68k, pmax, and sun3.  I don't know about you, but I have built
X11 sets for at least one of those architectures (alpha) and I have also
always expected pkgsrc to be able to build additional x11-based packages
against the system x11 libraries on alpha as well.

Obviously xsrc/xfree became unsupported when it was removed and unhooked
from the source tree, and that's fine, but that's not what I'm talking
about.  (The documentation has indeed been updated to reflect its
removal too, so nothing to worry about there either.  All will be good
for the netbsd-8 branch, though maybe xsrc/Makefile should be removed
and an up-to-date informational README put in its place.)

--
						Greg A. Woods
						Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/